The nice classification of Goods and services
The difference among goods and services, is that the first are tangible and the second one are intangible. Goods can be consumed in their first use or it can be used more than one time, while the services are intangible, we pay for the results that needs to be provided.
According to Hassa in pediaa.com (Hassa 2022).
Definition of trademark
It is any word, phrase, symbol, or design that identifies your goods or services. Is a way of differentiate yourself from your competitors based on how customers recognize you in the marketplace. In addition to trademarks, service marks are also considered trademark. It helps prevent counterfeiting and fraud and protects against unauthorized use.
According to UPTSO in Trademarks.
Knowing the definition, we can classify goods and services by the nice classification, which was signed the 15th of Jun of 1957, and entered into force three years later the 8th of April in an agreement known as the Nice Agreement. This agreement is open to states who take part into the Paris Convention for the Protection of Industrial Property.
Each of these countries that participate in this agreement must apply for trademark registration, either as a main or subsidiary classification. This should include official documents and publications related to your brand and the types of goods and services included in the classification to which they belong.
It consists in a system that classifies the goods and services with the purpose of registering trademarks, this classification englobes 34 types of goods and 11 of services. The main role of the classification was to determine a unitary practice with respect to the designation of goods and services by trademark applications.
The first version of this classification was in 1963, is edited every five years, and is revised every year, and enters in force on the first day of January. The original texts of the Nice Classification are published online by WIPO.
The classes of goods and services are accompanied by explanatory notes describing in more detail the type of good or service included in the relevant class. The alphabetical list is a list of goods and services that follows an alphabetical order. It contains about 10,000 headings for goods and 1,000 headings for services.
List of Goods
This list, explain is organize in two sets of five columns in each page, which indicates for each product or service:
- The first column contains the product or service's category number. The second column contains its class number.
- In the second column, the English description of the product or service is given.
- In the third column, the product or service is indicated in English.
- The fourth column shows the product or service's French indication serial number.
- There is a fifth column in the table that shows the basic indication of the product or service.
There are different ways of organizing the goods, we can classify it by different classes. (Edition version 2022)
- The first class: chemical products for industry, photography, agriculture, and unprocessed plastic.
- The second one: paints, varnishes, and colorants.
- The third one:cosmetics, perfumery and essentials oils.
- The fourth one: industrials oil and greases, fuels, and illuminants.
- The fifth one: medical pharmaceuticals, and preparations for medical purposes.
- The sixth one: common metal, materials for building and construction.
- The seventh one: engines for machines and machine tools, motors, and machines.
- The eighth one: hand-operated tools, implements and side arms.
- The nineth one: apparatus for instruments for scientific, audio-visual and information technology equipment.
- The tenth one: surgical medical and veterinary apparatus and other for diagnosis treatment of persons and animals.
- The eleventh one: apparatus and installations of heating, cooling, cooking, and sanitizing.
- The twelfth one: mainly apparatus and vehicles for the transport by air, water, and land.
- The thirteenth one: firearms, ammunition, projectiles, explosives. and fireworks.
- The fourteenth one: jewellery, precious metal, and clocks.
- The fifteenth one: musical instruments and their accessories.
- The sixteenth one: cardboard, certain goods and mainly paper.
- The seventeenth one: electrical, thermal, and insulating materials.
- The eighteenth one: leather imitations, animals’ skins.
- The nineteenth one: materials for building and constructions.
- The twentieth one: furniture, goods made of goods.
- The twenty first: household and toilets utensils.
- The twenty second: materials for making sails and stuffing materials.
- The twenty third: fiberglass natural or synthetic yarns.
- The twenty fourth: textiles, bed linen of paper, sleeping bags.
- The twenty fifth: footwear, headwear, heels, and paper clothing.
- The twenty sixth: synthetic hair, small decorative items.
- The twenty seventh: products that covers floors.
- The twenty eighth: plays, apparatus for playing games and Christmas crakets.
- The twenty nineths: foodstuffs, meat, fish, prepared for consumption.
- The thirty: coffee, tea, rice foodstuffs that comes from plants.
- The thirty-one: land and sea products that are natural.
- The thirty- second: non-alcoholic beverages and beer.
- The thirty- third: alcoholic beverages.
- The thirty-fourth: tobacco, cigarettes, and vaporizers.
List of services
There are different ways of organizing services, we can classify it by numbers. (Edition version 2022)
- The thirty- fifth: business management.
- The thirty-sixth: monetary and insurance services.
- The thirty- seventh: construction, mining extraction and repair services.
- The thirty- eight: telecommunication services.
- The thirty- nineth: transport of people and storing of goods.
- The fortieth: recycling of trash and food and drink preservation.
- The forty- first: sporting and training.
- The forty- second: industrial analysis and design services, laboratory services.
- The forty- third: temporary accommodation and preparation of food and drinks
- The forty- fourth: medical and beauty care for human and animals.
- The forty-fifth: legal services and protection of tangible property
World intellectual Property Organization,(2001).International classification of Goods and Services, Part 1. WIPO.
George Mihai Irimescu. (2021). The nicee classification-evolution and interpretation.
WIPO (2022). [http:// www.wipo.int/classifications/nice/nclpub/en/fr/pdf-download.pdf?lang=en&tab=class_headings&dateInForce=20220101]NICE CLASSIFICATION - 11th Edition, Version 2022 List of Classes with Explanatory Notes
"Hassa".July 4,(2022).pediaa.com:  . "pediaa.com"
uspto: [ https://www.uspto.gov/trademarks/basics/what-trademark.. UPSTO] , "USPTO"