App marketing strategies
App marketing strategies are the set of decisions and actions taken by a company to promote and market their mobile app. Such strategies encompass a wide range of activities including product positioning, target market selection, pricing, promotion, and distribution. App marketing strategies take into account the competitive landscape, customer profiles, and the uniqueness of the app offering. A successful app marketing strategy will ensure that the app is seen by the right customers and is positioned to capture market share. It should complement the overall brand positioning and be responsive to customer needs. A well-crafted marketing strategy will be able to identify the most effective channels and tactics for driving downloads, engagement and loyalty.
Example of app marketing strategies
- Paid Advertising: Paid advertising is one of the most effective app marketing strategies. This can include search engine marketing, social media ads, display ads, or video ads. Paid advertising allows app developers to promote their app to a targeted audience. For example, a mobile game developer could use paid ads to reach potential players who are interested in gaming.
- Content Marketing: Content marketing involves creating and sharing content to educate potential customers about the benefits of the app. Content can be shared on website or blog articles, on social media, or through email campaigns. This can be an effective way to build an audience and showcase the app’s features to potential customers.
- App Store Optimization (ASO): App store optimization is the process of optimizing an app’s presence in the app store. This involves optimizing metadata such as the app title, description, and keywords to help the app appear in search results. It also involves optimizing the visuals such as screenshots and videos to make the app stand out from the competition.
- Influencer Marketing: Influencer marketing involves leveraging influencers to promote the app. Influencers are people with a large following on social media, blogs, or YouTube. They can be used to create content, share reviews, and endorse the app to their followers.
- User Acquisition Campaigns: User acquisition campaigns are used to acquire new users for the app. These campaigns involve using various tactics such as search engine marketing, social media ads, and email campaigns to drive traffic to the app. The goal of these campaigns is to acquire new users and drive download numbers.
When to use app marketing strategies
App marketing strategies should be employed when a company wants to promote its mobile app to a specific audience. Examples of when to use app marketing strategies include:
- Launching a new app - To ensure that the app is seen by the right customers, the company should develop an app marketing strategy before launch. This strategy should include product positioning, target market selection, pricing, promotion, and distribution.
- Increasing downloads of an existing app - An app marketing strategy can help to increase the number of downloads of an existing app. Tactics such as search engine optimization and influencer marketing can be used to reach new customers and drive downloads.
- Improving customer engagement - An effective app marketing strategy can help to improve customer engagement. Tactics such as push notifications, in-app messaging, and personalized content can be used to keep customers engaged with the app.
- Increasing customer loyalty - A successful app marketing strategy can help to increase customer loyalty. Tactics such as loyalty rewards, referrals, and customer segmentation can be used to reward customers for their loyalty and encourage them to remain engaged with the app.
Types of app marketing strategies
App marketing strategies are an essential part of any successful mobile app. A well-crafted strategy should take into account the competitive landscape, customer profiles, and the uniqueness of the app offering. Below are some of the key types of app marketing strategies:
- Content marketing: Content marketing refers to the creation of content such as blog posts, videos, and social media posts that are designed to engage potential customers and build brand awareness.
- Paid advertising: Paid advertising involves the placement of ads on a variety of online platforms, including search engines and social media sites, to reach potential customers.
- App store optimization: App store optimization involves optimizing the app listing in the app store to ensure that it stands out and is found by potential customers.
- Search engine optimization: Search engine optimization involves optimizing the app listing in the app store to ensure that it is ranked highly in search engine results.
- Influencer marketing: Influencer marketing involves leveraging the reach of influential individuals or groups to promote an app and drive downloads.
- User acquisition campaigns: User acquisition campaigns involve running targeted campaigns and promotions to acquire new users.
- Retargeting campaigns: Retargeting campaigns involve targeting users who have interacted with the app before and serving them relevant ads to re-engage them.
- A/B testing: A/B testing involves testing different versions of an app or ad copy to determine which one is most effective.
Steps of app marketing strategies
The steps of app marketing strategies include:
- Identifying the target audience: Before launching an app marketing strategy, it is important to identify the target audience for the app. This includes understanding the needs and preferences of the target audience, their purchasing behavior, and the competitive landscape.
- Analyzing the competitive landscape: It is important to understand the competitive landscape of the app market in order to develop an effective marketing strategy. This includes analyzing the strengths and weaknesses of competitors’ apps and understanding their strategies.
- Developing an app positioning strategy: Positioning the app in the market is essential to ensure that the app stands out from the competition. This includes defining the app’s unique value proposition and creating an attractive, memorable brand identity.
- Setting pricing and promotion strategies: Setting the right price for the app is crucial for its success. This should be based on the target audience, competition, and the app’s features and value. Promotional strategies should be developed to reach the target audience and create awareness and interest in the app.
- Analyzing user feedback: User feedback is essential to understand how users are responding to the app and what can be improved. This includes analyzing user ratings and reviews, usage patterns, and user engagement.
- Establishing distribution channels: Establishing the right distribution channels is important for the success of the app. This includes leveraging social media platforms, app stores, and other channels to reach the target audience and promote the app.
Advantages of app marketing strategies
App marketing strategies have become an essential part of business success in the mobile era, as they can help companies capitalize on the huge potential of the app market. There are many advantages to developing and executing an effective app marketing strategy, including:
- Increased visibility: App marketing strategies can help your app reach more users and gain more visibility, allowing you to capture a larger market share.
- Improved user experience: Effective app marketing strategies can help you create a better user experience, as they can help you target the right audience with the right message.
- Improved engagement: App marketing strategies can help you to increase engagement with your app, as well as boost loyalty among existing users.
- Increased monetization: App marketing strategies can help you reach more users and generate more revenue from your app.
- Improved brand reputation: App marketing strategies can help you build a strong brand reputation, as they can help you create a positive image of your app among users.
Limitations of app marketing strategies
App marketing strategies have their own limitations. These include:
- Lack of visibility: App marketing strategies are limited by their ability to reach the target audience. Without proper visibility, the app can be lost in the crowd of other apps. Poor visibility can be caused by a lack of understanding of the target audience or ineffective marketing tactics.
- Limited resources: App marketing strategies rely on a limited set of resources, such as budget and personnel. These resources must be used strategically to ensure the success of the app.
- Competition: App stores are crowded with similar apps, making it difficult for an app to stand out. To be successful, app marketing strategies must be able to differentiate the app and make it attractive to the target audience.
- Technology: App marketing strategies must be able to keep up with advances in technology. As new technologies become available, app marketing strategies must be able to incorporate them to stay competitive.
- Measuring success: App marketing strategies must be able to measure the success of the app in order to make adjustments and refine the strategy. Measurement metrics such as downloads, engagement, and loyalty must be tracked in order to ensure success.
App marketing strategies encompass a wide range of activities that work together to drive downloads, engagement and loyalty. These strategies include:
- Product Positioning - This involves defining the app offering in terms of features, benefits and competitive positioning. It is important to create a unique value proposition that resonates with your target market.
- Target Market Selection - It is critical to identify the target market for the app and tailor the marketing mix to meet their needs.
- Pricing - Setting the right price for the app is essential for capturing market share.
- Promotion - This involves leveraging channels such as social media, influencer marketing, and paid advertising to effectively reach the target market.
- Distribution - This involves selecting the right app store, pricing and promotional strategies, and other tactics to ensure the app is widely available to potential customers.
In conclusion, a successful app marketing strategy requires a comprehensive approach that combines product positioning, target market selection, pricing, promotion, and distribution. It should be tailored to the target market and be responsive to customer needs. The right mix of strategies and tactics can help ensure that the app is seen and downloaded by the right customers.
|App marketing strategies — recommended articles|
|Types of marketing — Principles of marketing — Areas of marketing — Effectiveness of advertising — Marketing advantage — Managing brand equity — Social media marketing — Role of marketing — Sales campaign|
- Reyes-Menendez, A., Saura, J. R., & Palos-Sanchez, P. (2020). Identifying key performance indicators for marketing strategies in mobile applications: A systematic literature review. International Journal of Electronic Marketing and Retailing, 11(3), 259-277.
- Wang, Q. (2020). [https://www.ceibs.edu/sites/default/files/research/working-papers/014-wang-qi_may-2020.pdf In-App Couponing or Group-Couponing: The Impact of Mobile Marketing Strategies on Branded App Adoption (Doctoral dissertation, Department of Marketing China Europe International Business School (ceibs)