From CEOpedia | Management online
Blockchain technology is a distributed ledger system that can be used to create a secure, decentralized and tamper-proof record of transactions. In Industry 4.0, the blockchain technology could potentially play an important role by providing the following benefits:
- Traceability: In Industry 4.0, where the internet of things (IoT) and other technologies are connected, the blockchain can be used to provide a tamper-proof record of all transactions, which can be used to trace the movement of goods and materials.
- Smart Contracts: Smart contracts can be used to automate and streamline supply chain processes, reducing the need for intermediaries and increasing efficiency.
- Supply Chain Management: Blockchain can be used to create a transparent and tamper-proof record of all transactions in the supply chain, allowing all parties to access the same information and make decisions based on accurate data.
- Quality assurance: Blockchain can be used to create a tamper-proof record of the quality assurance process of a product, ensuring that it meets the required standards.
- Data security: Blockchain technology is considered as one of the most secure technologies as it uses advanced cryptographic methods to ensure the security of the data stored on it.
- Automation: Blockchain can be used to automate various processes such as payments, contract execution, and others, which can reduce the need for intermediaries, increase efficiency and reduce costs.
- Decentralization: Blockchain allows the creation of decentralized networks, where no single entity controls the system, which can increase trust and transparency, and reduce the risk of fraud.
Overall, Blockchain technology can bring a level of transparency, security, and automation to Industry 4.0 that can help to increase efficiency, reduce costs, and improve the overall performance of the industry.
- Tijan, E., Aksentijević, S., Ivanić, K., & Jardas, M. (2019). Blockchain technology implementation in logistics. Sustainability, 11(4), 1185.