Job description is a fundamental element of the organizational structure documentation. Proper preparation of this document allows the construction of the organizational structure. This description is also used in other areas, such as recruitment or work evaluation. Job description is also the basis for the development of a range of activities for the employee. Depending on needs, manager can create different descriptions:
- job task cards,
- management task cards,
Job description should include following information:
- relations with other positions (communication, subordination, replacing),
- main tasks, powers and responsibilities
- devices used during work,
- qualifications and required experience.
Properly prepared job description gives a number of benefits to both workers and management:
- helps you avoid conflict and contradictions in work,
- relieves management from performing some tasks,
- is the basis for the selection and recruitment of new employees and the HR system
- allows to evaluate the jobs and develop proper system of remuneration,
- gives clear relations between superior and subordinate,
- gives the basics to improve self-control through the specification of objectives for individual workers,
- gives opportunity to better understand the importance of worker contribution and increases chance of self-realization.
- Schuler, R. S., & Jackson, S. E. (1987). Linking competitive strategies with human resource management practices. The Academy of Management Executive (1987-1989), 207-219.