|Methods and techniques|
Maintenance Management it is the set of activities that are providet with the aim of restoring or maintaining a production system in a state in which can be economically performed the required functions of the system.
Integrated Maintenance Management represents implementation of decision, actions and measures making with the aim of increasing energy efficiency fulfilling requirements and decreasing total maintenance costs.
Description of the Maintenance Management
Maintenance Management play important role in the manage of production systems. There are 4 main objectives are mentioned for Maintenance Management including:
- ensuring system function (availability, efficiency and product quality),
- ensuring system life (asset management),
- ensuring safety,
- ensuring human well-being.
The Maintenance Management policies classify into five groups including:
- corrective maintenance,
- preventive maintenance,
- CBM or predictive maintenance,
- autonomous maintenance,
- design-out maintenance.
- The oldest type of maintenance policy is Corrective maintenance and its measures restore a failure system into operational states. Because of this it includes the simple actions, often performed after the system function reduces to an unacceptable level or after completely fails of system function.
- Preventive maintenance policy is a more advanced maintenance planning policy. In the simplest state, it prescribes the maintenance measures at the same distant intervals irrespective of the system state. The aim of this policy is to retain a system in the operational state and avoid its complete failure.
- CBM or predictive maintenance is a modern policy that have to optimize the performance of preventive maintenance. CBM policy based on a condition monitoring. During this process, the information about the system operational state is collected, analyzed and based on these analyses, an appropriate decision about the maintenance measures are taken.
- In autonomous maintenance, the maintenance and production department cooperate with the aim of performing maintenance jobs.
- Design-out maintenance is a policy that improving rather than just conducting maintenance actions.
The methodology for integrated Maintenance Management
The methodology for integrated Maintenance Management consists of five phases:
- In the first phase has to be defined a reference (initial) state of management.
- The second phase prepares the integrated conditions of Maintenance Management.
- In the third phase, managers of middle management level have to respect the integrated management criteria, while planning the maintenance work. It is also necessary in to periodically calculate the actual (realized) values of criteria for a certain observation period (daily, weekly, monthly, etc.). After that taken values have to be compare to the defined threshold values.
- Depending on the results, managers of middle management level make different decisions within the fourth phase. If the criteria are fulfilled, managers need to determine new enhanced threshold values, and return to the third phase of methodology. When one or more criteria are not fulfilled, managers of middle management level should make a decision whether the set threshold values could be achieved by improvement measures at the operational Maintenance Management level, or not. After each implementation of a new set of improvement measures, managers should set up the Maintenance Management to the new state, until all criteria are fulfilled.
- If the application of several different sets of improvement measures at the operational level cannot make criteria fulfilled, the procedure passes to the fifth phase, where managers at the top management level make decision to implement the improvement measures at the strategic and tactical Maintenance Management levels. The purpose of this methodology is in finding potential areas for improvement as well as in measuring of effects of the implemented improvement measures Maintenance Management. In this sense, the realized values of defined criteria were calculated, monitored and compared to the established threshold values.
Importance of the Maintenance management
After the production systems starts shifted from workers to machines, over the years, attention of managers to the affairs related to maintenance, increased. Mechanization and automation have increased the importance of Maintenance Management. As a result, the production personnel has reduced, and the fraction of operational costs associated with maintenance has grown. Morever, presently next to energy costs, the costs of maintenance can be the largest part of operational costs. This trend provide to increase the role of controlling the production process equipment conditions and enhancing the product quality. By this way, during optimizing the profitability of production systems, integrated models of Maintenance Management has become more and more important.
- Alaswad, S., Xiang, Y., (2017). A review on condition-based maintenance optimization models for stochastically deteriorating system. Reliability Engineering & System Safety, Vol. 157, 54-63.
- Rasay, H., Fallahnezhad, M.S., Zaremehrjerdi, Y. (2018). Integration of the Decisions Associated with Maintenance Management and Process Control for a Series Production System . Iranian Journal of Management Studies (IJMS), Vol. 11, No. 2, 379-405.
- Vujanovic D.B, Momcilovic V.M., Medar O.M., (2018). Influence of an integrated Maintenance management on the vehicle fleet energy efficiency.. Thermal Science, Vol. 22, No. 3, 1525-1536.
Author: Mykyta Yezhevskyi