Nice classification of goods and services
|Nice classification of goods and services|
The difference between goods and services is that the first is tangible and the second one is intangible. Goods can be consumed in their first use or they can be used more than one time, while the services are intangible, we pay for the results that need to be provided. According to Hassa Difference between goods and services .
Definition of trademark
It is any word, phrase, symbol, or design that identifies your goods or services. It is a way of differentiating yourself from your competitors based on how customers recognize you in the marketplace. In addition to trademarks, service marks are also considered a trademark. It helps prevent counterfeiting and fraud. According to what is on the trademark.
Knowing the definition, we can classify goods and services by the nice classification, which was signed on the 15th of June of 1957, and entered into force three years later the 8th of April in an agreement known as the Nice Agreement. This agreement is open to states who take part in the Paris Convention for the Protection of Industrial Property.
Each of these countries that participate in this agreement must apply for trademark registration, either as a main or subsidiary classification. This should include official documents and publications related to your brand and the types of goods and services included in the classification to which they belong.
It consists in a system that classifies the goods and services with the purpose of registering trademarks, this classification englobes 34 types of goods and 11 of services. The main role of the classification was to determine a unitary practice with respect to the designation of goods and services by trademark applications.
The first version of this classification was in 1963, is edited every five years, and is revised every year, and enters force on the first day of January. The original texts of the Nice Classification are published online by WIPO.
The classes of goods and services are accompanied by explanatory notes describing in more detail the type of good or service included in the relevant class. The alphabetical list is a list of goods and services that follows an alphabetical order. It contains about 10,000 headings for goods and 1,000 headings for services.
List of Goods
The first column contains the product or service's category number. The second column contains its class number. In the second column, the English description of the product or service is given. In the third column, the product or service is indicated in English. The fourth column shows the product or service's French indication serial number. There is a fifth column in the table that shows the basic indication of the product or services.There are different ways of organizing the goods, we can classify it by different classes. (Edition version 2022) :
- Chemical products for industry, photography, agriculture, and unprocessed plastic.
- Paints, varnishes, and colorants.
- Cosmetics, perfumery, and essential oils.
- Industrials oil and greases, fuels, and illuminants.
- Pharmaceuticals, and preparations for medical purposes.
- Common metal, materials for building and construction.
- Engines for machines and machine tools, motors, and machines.
- Hand-operated tools, implements, and side arms.
- Apparatus for instruments for scientific, audio-visual, and information technology equipment.
- Surgical medical and veterinary apparatus and others for diagnosis and treatment of persons and animals.
- Apparatus and installations of heating, cooling, cooking, and sanitizing.
- Mainly apparatus and vehicles for transport by air, water, and land.
- Firearms, ammunition, projectiles, explosives. and fireworks.
- Jewellery, precious metal, and clocks.
- Musical instruments and their accessories.
- Cardboard, certain goods, and mainly paper.
- Electrical, thermal, and insulating materials.
- Leather imitations, animals’ skins.
- Materials for building and construction.
- Furniture, goods made of goods.
- Household and toilet utensils.
- Materials for making sails and stuffing materials.
- Fiberglass natural or synthetic yarns.
- Textiles, bed linen of paper, sleeping bags.
- Footwear, headwear, heels, and paper clothing.
- Synthetic hair, small decorative items.
- Products that cover floors.
- Plays, apparatus for playing games, and Christmas crackers.
- Foodstuffs, meat, fish, prepared for consumption.
- Coffee, tea, and rice foodstuffs that come from plants.
- Land and sea products that are natural.
- Non-alcoholic beverages and beer.
- Alcoholic beverages.
- Tobacco, cigarettes, and vaporizers.
List of services
There are different ways of organizing services, we can classify them by classes. (Edition version 2022) :
- Business management.
- Monetary and insurance services.
- Construction, mining extraction, and repair services.
- Telecommunication services.
- Transport of people and storing of goods.
- Recycling of trash and food and drink preservation.
- Sporting and training.
- Industrial analysis and design services, laboratory services.
- Temporary accommodation and preparation of food and drinks
- Medical and beauty care for humans and animals.
- Legal services and protection of tangible property.
- (Hassa 2022)
- (United States Patent and Trademark Office) (2022)
- Cordray,R.(2016) pp.1-35
- Cordray,R.(2016) pp.35-46
- Cordray, R. (2016). Wipo classification. Wipo .
- Hassa, (2022). Differences between goods and services. Hassa (2022)
- Irimescu, G . (2021). Classification of goods and services nice- evolutions and interpretation ,
- 'Nice Classification of good and services '. (2001), World intellectual property organization. Geneva.
- 'What is a trademark?' . (2022), United States Patent and Trademark Office.
Author: Sonia María Soriano Marín