Public administration is carried out by State authorities, as well as by regional and local authorities to meet the needs of the collective and individual citizens, resulting from the coexistence of people in communities.
It consist of overall organizational structures in the state and the people employed in these structures which meet the public, collective and individual needs.
Types of public administration
Public administration is the incorporation of a variety entities acting within the scope of central state administration, government and local administrations. Public administration defines the structure, activities and people of all types government and self-government activities.
- Public administrations in organizational (subject) term - general administration entities performing functions of public administration,
- Public administration in material terms - performing activities of the States involving administrative matters or executive powers,
- Public administration in formal terms - whole activities carried out regardless of whether it is administrative in nature or do not have that character.
Functions of public administration
- protection of public order and public safety,
- public service provision through institutions belonging to the public sector (utilities and administrative establishments),
- regulatory function of economic development, issuing regulatory permits, quotas, customs duties, as well as the participation in the management of the state economy.
- Christensen, T., & Lægreid, P. (Eds.). (2002). New public management: the transformation of ideas and practice. Ashgate Pub Limited.
- Gruening, G. (2001). Origin and theoretical basis of New Public Management. International public management journal, 4(1), 1-25.
- Schedler, K., Proeller, I., &... Schedler-Proeller. (2000). New public management. Bern: Haupt.