The aim of municipal office is meeting the vital needs of the residing community and inhabitants. It has a number of organizational units, based on subject matter and scope of the activities or functions to be fulfilled.
Municipal office deals with matters concerning:
- spatial governance, the economy and the environment,
- municipal roads, streets, bridges, squares and traffic organization,
- water supply, sewerage disposal and treatment of urban waste water,
- supply of electricity and heat,
- local public transport,
- protection of health,
- social assistance, including caring centers and establishments,
- communal housing,
- education, including primary schools, kindergartens and other educational institutions,
- culture, including municipal libraries and other facilities for the dissemination of culture,
- physical culture, including recreational and sports equipment,
- markets and exhibition halls,
- municipal cemeteries
- law enforcement and fire protection
- maintain communal facilities of general interest and administrative facilities,
- ensure social, medical and legal care for pregnant women.
- Pierre, J. (2000). Debating governance: Authority, steering, and democracy. Oxford University Press.