|Methods and techniques|
Selling process as the name suggests, deals with the planning and control of sales. The process aims to collect data from the sales, production and marketing process. After analyzing this information, the task is to prepare the sales budget and control its implementation. In the meantime, statistics are being prepared and kept. Then, after the preparation, all these data are transmitted in the form of a report to the Management Board.
Selling process is a series of steps that lead through:
- planning sales,
- finding prospecting customers,
- pre-approach - gathering information about customers,
- approach - meeting with the customer,
- presentation of the product,
- handling objections,
The process differs depending on the method of selling, however base steps are the same - only methods are replaced. Selling process as the name suggests, deals with the planning and control of sales. The process aims to collect data from the sales, production and marketing process. After analyzing this information, the task is to prepare the sales budget and control its implementation. In the meantime, statistics are being prepared and kept. Then, after the preparation, all these data are transmitted in the form of a report to the Management Board.
Sales is the process of convincing the customer by the seller to purchase a specific good, service or product. The seller has to find their need in the customer. Every company have some goals. Sales departments have a selling plan. They use the marketing mix to reach the goal and sell the right amount of products or services.
The selling process
- Prospecting – It is the process of identifying customer needs and preferences. Good salesperson should spot these elements while speaking with customer by asking the right questions.
- Pre-approach – It depends on the first contact with customer and making good relationship. Salesperson should establish communication via 3 categories: by phone, by letter and personal visit. This person must make good impression.
- Approach – Is based on a closer exploration of the customer's needs. Making sure the customer is aware that they need our product.
- Presentation – Is a process when we try to show potential customer the benefits of purchases. “Body language” is a very important aspect in this step.
- First trial close – Subsequent to the presentation we aim to sell our product directly, before facing any objections, which customer may have.
- Objections – Providing the customer has objections - we immediately make effort to eliminate them via answering very quickly to questions and showing many advantages of the product.
- Meet objections – When the customer has objections we must listen and understand the customer hence we can try to explain and handle them.
- Final trial close – In this step we can recognize via special techniques are used by salesperson, how close is the customer from making a decision (buying the product).
- Close – is the most important step in whole process. The customer confirms buying. It is main goal of the salesperson.
- Follow-up – Subsequent to the sale, salesperson should contact with customer, make sure everything is correct. It is quite helpful to form a favorable relationship with the customer, for it can lead to new sales of a new product to the same customer in the future.
In selling process a very important element is sales techniques. Every potential client is unique and salesperson must use a few methods to negotiate during the selling process. We can distinguish as:
- Persuasion – Good salesperson should be able to change the mind of potential customer into purchase, influence the decision even if the customer initially doesn’t agree buy our product.
- Commercial argument – Salesperson must give really good argument to convince the customer to purchase. He must give specific examples (benefits, facts) that the customer will get after the purchase.
- The auction refers – Initially offered price should be medium - not too high and not too low. Because customers very often tend to ask about discount. We must have space to negotiate with the customer and give some lower price than what we offered in the beginning.
- The use of time – Providing we have time to make a decision it is a better situation for the both sides. Salesperson can pass more information and customer in the same time can think and understood that if they really need this product.
- Manipulations – Sometimes salesperson hide important information in negotiations. Otherwise there is a chance that client may give up buying
Selling is the main part of marketing. During selling process, a salesperson should:
- Find new customers,
- Increase sell to current customers,
- Build long-term relationships with customer,
- Help finding solutions to problems
Role of selling in Marketing
- Product – Branding is a very important part in the market. Company must develop a strong and famous brand - it can help building loyalty between company and the customer.
- Price – It should be suitable for the customer, competitive and favorable value for money.
- Place – Company should introduce product in the best place where client have bigger chance to bought it
- Promotion – This is the most important part of marketing (promotion strategy); company make advertise and try increase
- Belohlavek P., (2008) Market Cybernetics: Unicist Marketing Mix, The Unicist Research Institute, Blue Eagle Group
- Brooks W. T., Brooks B. (2004) Sales Techniques, McGraw-Hill Education
- Cant M.C., Heerden CH van (2005). Personal Selling, Juta Academic
- Long M. M., Tellefsen, T., & Lichtenthal, J. D. (2007). Internet integration into the industrial selling process: A step-by-step approach. Industrial Marketing Management, 36(5), 676-689
- M.C. Cant, CH van Heerden (2005)
- W. T. Brooks, B. Brooks (2004)
- M.C. Cant, CH van Heerden (2005)
- P.Belohlavek (2008)
Author: Anna Klisiewicz