Computer department is term often used to describe unit within organizational structure which deals with information technology. It consist of technicians and experts capable of solving problems with network, connectivity, software, security, risk and data management. Existence of computer department requires high skills and competencies of employees and is crucial for proper functioning of knowledge management system and management information system.
Companies with skillful computer department can meet competitive demands by adjusting IT processes to business processes, creating dependable and cost-proficient frameworks, and foreseeing IT requirements for business benefits superior to anything contenders do. Companies without computer departments can't update business strategies fast enough when market and competition change. Therefore, we can say that computer departments allow companies to adapt business processes to market changes better than its competition. The connection between computer department and business departments is a main research issue that symbolizes the estimation of computer systems impact on companies’ performance. More and more companies are being aware that comprehensive computer science knowledge and ability to transform those knowledge assets into business esteem is crucial for their businesses and can drive real value.
Computer department main responsibilities
The computer department is responsible the installation, configuration and maintenance of computer networks within an organization. Primary goal in this case is to ensure that network runs without going down. Network must be designed to provide a plan and ability to quickly restart the network after the network failure. Networks failures can be very costly for companies, especially for those where manufacturing process is based on the internal or external network. This may cost millions of dollars during entire network failure.
Hardware infrastructure engineers in computer departments are building and maintaining the hardware items in their companies. They are responsible for personal computers, servers, routers, switches and other devices that need to be set up or fixed.
The computer department is also responsible for creating business applications for internal use. Employees directly owing this kind of responsibility are software developers. They are implementing business requirements to useful software applications which are used by other departments. Their work is also to maintain the software which is bug fixing, developing new features based on users’ request and updating applications to newest technologies.
Nearly all companies need to store all kind of business data and knowledge. As the amount of data is growing exponentially, the need for database administrators is growing rapidly. Their work is based on providing full support to database servers, cleaning data, managing failures and providing insights based on variety of company's data .
- Dewett, T., & Jones, G. R. (2001). The role of information technology in the organization: a review, model, and assessment. "Journal of management", 27(3), 313-346.
- G.S. Reddy, R. Srinivasu, M. P. Chander Rao, S. Reddy Rikkula (2010) Data Warehousing, Data Mining, OLAP and OLTP Technologies are essential elements to support decision-making process in industries. "(IJCSE) International Journal on Computer Science and Engineering" Vol. 02, No. 09, 2010, 2865-2873.
- Kim G., Shin B., Kim K. K., Lee G. H. (2011). IT Capabilities, Process-Oriented Dynamic Capabilities, and Firm Financial Performance. "Journal of the association and information systems", Volume 12, Issue 7, p. 487-517, July 2011.
- Tang X., Todo Y. (2013). A Study of Service Desk Setup in Implementing IT Service Management in Enterprises. Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Kanazawa University.
- G. Kim, B. Shin, K. K. Kim, G. H. Lee (2011)
- Reddy G.S., Srinivasu R.,Chander Rao M. P., Reddy Rikkula S. (2010)
Author: Paulina Baczyńska