Delivery note in free translation means a document, which is a proof of delivery. This is exactly the confirmation that the recipient received the ordered goods. The driver who is responsible for delivering goods from point A to point B is obliged to ensure that the recipient signs and stamps that documents . During transport, this document must be kept in a safe place, because this is a most important transport receipt. The driver may only show it to police control and must ensure that it arrives intact at the place of delivery. It sometimes happens that the principal or contractor wishes that the delivery note is carried in an envelope. In transport, there are situations when two copies of this document are created. One of them is intended for a receiver, the second one for the carrier. Thanks to this copy, the carrier can be sure that no one will accuse him of not delivering the goods at all or delivering only part of them and it is also a security for the payment of freight. Person dealing with invoices in the company, before payment of the amount due checks if delivery notes are among transport documents. If the information on this document agrees with the customer's order, accountant sends a transfer of money .
Contents of delivery note
Delivery note should contain the name of provider and place from which the product was sent. Equally important information that should be included on the delivery document is the person who is entitled to receive the goods and the address of destination place, so that the carrier has no problem finding the recipient. On that document we have to find also information about cargo, which it concerns. It means description of the product, its quantity, color, type, and weight. It is necessary that the delivery note includes a place where the recipient signs and stamps it, which confirms receipt of the goods. The supplier and the recipient are also obliged to indicate in this document when the goods have been issued and picked up and delivered .
A person who is entitled to receive the goods and sign a delivery note must carefully check whether the goods are not damaged and if the quantity agrees with the order. If relevant remarks are included in this document the recipient can apply for compensation or submit complaints. In the case of damage or destruction of the cargo, it has to be clear who is responsible for it. Damage could have occurred both in the loading place or during transport. When something wrong happens with the cargo during loading, the driver must clearly mark it on the transport documents. Then the entire responsibility for damage falls on the supplier. In the absence of such information, the transport company may be charged for losses. Information on the delivered goods can be found by the warehouseman in advice note. This solution makes it easier to compare the product on truck board with real order. In many situations in manufacturing companies, it is exactly the warehouseman who is responsible for checking the condition and quantity of the cargo being delivered . If the employee employed by the recipient does not react adequately or does not notice any defects or damages of the cargo, receiver can punish him financially. Such a worker is not doing his job properly.
- Linsley T. (2011). Basic Electrical Installation Work, Newnes, Oxford, p.103
- Grant R. (2012). Some Buyers Will, Some Buyers won't CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform, p. 19
- Taylor S. (2003). Model Business, letters, emails and other business documents Pearson Financial Times, London, p.167
- Bourne S. (2010). Graded Tutorials on Auditing Juta Legal and Academic Publishers, p.361
- Doughton M. (2000). The importance of quality, Cengage Learning, p.30
- Brett P. (2014). Carpentry & Joinery Knowledge Job Nelsom Thornes, p. 474
- Kolitz DL, Quinn AB, McAllister GA (2009). Financial Accounting Juta Academinc, p. 231
- Brett P. (2014) Carpentry & Joinery Knowledge Job, Nelsom Thornes
- Bourne S. and other, 2010 Graded Tutorials on Auditig, Juta Legal and Academic Publishers,
- Doughton M. (2000) The importance of quality Cengage Learning
- Grant R. (2012) Some Buyers Will, Some Buyers won't, CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform
- Kolitz DL, Quinn AB, McAllister. (2009) A Concepts-Based Introduction to Financial Accounting, Juta Academinc,
- Linsley T. (2011) Basic Electrical Installation Work Newnes, Oxford,
- Taylor S. (2003) Model Business, letters, emails and other business documents, Pearson Financial Times, London
Author: Aleksandra Wróbel