The vacancy describes free workplace (seat). Vacancy may be created by relocation of an employee to another position, the termination of the contract or as a result of organizational changes.
Management may decide to:
- fill the vacancy - initiate recruitment process,
- restrain to fill the vacancy - transfer tasks to other job positions, reducing employment,
- partial fill - by part-time, seasonal or casual employment.
Vacancy is harmful for organizations, because:
- process flow is interrupted - efficient operation is not possible, errors are common, employee suppress making relevant steps in the process,
- other staff informally must take over the task, but are not paid for it which reduces their motivation.
- Dunlop, J. T. (1966). Job vacancy measures and economic analysis. In The measurement and interpretation of job vacancies (pp. 27-47). NBER.