Tri party agreement
|Tri party agreement|
Tri-Party Agreement is an detailed contract between three parties that agree upon a protection of a loan to make sure that in case of issues with paying it off, there is support from the third party. This type of agreement usually concerns constructions. It is settled between the investor (bank), buyer (borrower) and creator (builder, architect) that offers the whole loan as a way to protect one or more parties from the agreement. Using the information given, the system decides what the price of this support should be to make the process easier. It should include all the necessary specifications so that it is understandable and bright what happens in case if some problems are encountered. It is necessary to sign such a document before selling a property that will be bought with borrowed money.
Reasons and impact of Tri-party agreeement
The main reason behind using Tri-Party Agreement is to miligate some kind of risk. When the goal is to minimalise financial risk, there is often created tri-party account where security payments are allocated. This kind of arragement is also decreasing the number of related administrative work. From cash flow perspective, it might slightly increase it, as more money transfers is happening. On the other hand, Civinskas V. points that in global money market tri-party operations highly impacted financial crisis in years 2007-08.
Tri-party agreement mortgage
A common tri - party agreement concerns mortgage. It is made to make it clear what happens when the buyer of a property buys for example a house and takes a bank loan for this. The third party may be necessary to cover the expenses in case of lack of ability to cover the costs by the actual borrower who may experience a life changing injury, unemployment or a loss of life. The property will belong to the bank or the builder in such unfortunate circumstances which the agreement specifies.
Tri-party agreement details
Such an agreement can include various details, depending on the transaction. However, there are certain points that always need to be covered and seem mostly important to mention in writing, such as:
- Names of the parties - so that it is clear who takes part in the agreement.
- Costs the borrower needs to pay, such as monthly installments for the loan.
- Price upon which the parties agree the property will be sold at.
- Fines or penalties - if one of the parties does not fulfill their obligation.
- Rights of all of the parties - what all of them deserve to get upon the agreement.
- Dates - information when the property will be available, what is the time a fine or penalty should be paid, etc.
A relevant example of a tri - party agreement may be below Consensusdocs 300 Standard Form od Tri-party Agreement for Collaborative Project of which the table of content includes the above and many more details, some of them will be:
- Owner provided information
- Constructors's compensation
- Designer's compensation and payment
- Cost of work
- Right to audit
- Suspention, notice to cure and termination of the agreement
The details provided are the way to protect all of the parties and to clarify the whole process. Knowing that every case is different, every party may have its’ own perspectives and suggestions encountering various tri - party agreements is no surprise.
Tri-party repurchase agreement
Tri-party repurchase agreement (also known as tri-party repo agreement) concerns selling securities by one party to another while agreeing to sell them back within a particular, pre-decided time. Such a transaction may be quite risky due to the fact that such assets can be influenced by prices modification. That is why tri - party agreement seems to be an extremely useful tool to provide some kind of protection to the parties. Such an repo role is to include useful, practical and detailed information, possible risk and difficulties that may take place due to this investment.
- Tri-party repurchase agreement - advantages
An advantage of tri - party repurchase agreement is being elastic when it comes to security and liquidity of their assets.
- Tri-party repurchase agreement - investor's challenges
The biggest concern of corporate investors is the decrease in value of the assets. However, they do mention a solution which is so called ‘haircuts’, in other words ‘margins’ included in the agreement.
- Role of technology in tri-party repurchase agreement
Role of technology repurchase agreement is vital. The computer system called ERP takes an important part in the process as well as a website Global Liquidity Hub provides meaningful information for the investors.
Author: Klaudia Trybuła, Patrycja Mikołajczyk
- Mornik, (2013), p.1,5
- Civinskas V. (2016), p. 20-32
- Lethaby S., (2015)
- Lethaby, S., (2015), p.14-16
- Lethaby S., (2015), p.14-16
- Lethaby S., (2015)
- Consensusdocs 300 Standard Form od Tri-party Agreement for Collaborative Project Delivery (2007), p. 1
- Civinskas V. (2016), An assessment of the problems affecting money markets during the Financial Crisis of 2007-08 in Essex Student Research Online Vol. 8, UK
- Copeland A., Duffie D., Martin A., McLaughlin S. (2012), Key Mechanics of the U.S. Tri-Party Repo Market in "FRBNY Economic Policy Review / November 2012", New York
- Lethaby S., (2015) Tri-Party Repos: Minimising Risk, Maximising Efficiency
- Mornik (2013), United States Patent
- Poston T. M., Hanf R. W., Dirkes R. L., Morasch L. F. (2002),Hanford Site Environmental Report for Calendar Year 2001, U.S. Department of Energy, USA