Value stream mapping
|Value stream mapping|
|Methods and techniques|
Value stream mapping is a method used to analyse the production system. It shows how the value is added to the product on subsequent workplaces in the manufacturing process, starting from process of raw material and ending with the finished product.
Value stream mapping is a tool that can be used with a sheet of paper and a pencil. It helps in seeing and understanding the flow of materials and information in the process, and value created during this flow.
Making a map of value stream is very simple: it is necessary to trace "the route of production" of the product from the client to the supplier, accurately graphically representing each of the activities involved in the flow of material and information.
The objective is to draw the "future state map", showing the desired form of the flow of values within analysed process. Constant repetition of these activities is the easiest and at the same time the best skills teaching method for managers and workers. It clearly establishes company vision and values, and most importantly identifies mail sources of waste (of time, material, resources).
Steps of value stream mapping
- Set the objectives. What results do you plan to achieve?
- Select the team. The team should consist of people from all departments through which the product flows, e.g. from raw material to sales.
- Select process to be mapped.
- Collect data and produce current state map. Do it while walking on production line with stop watch. To not rely on any written data or specifications. Reality differs from specs.
- Analyse current state. Challenge the current thinking, encourage the team to find waste.
- Create map of future state. Consult it, remove all weaknesses.
- Measure benefits. Check whether your objectives can be met.
Values stream map symbols
Value Stream Mapping symbols are known as the "language of lean". They allow to depict and improve the flow in the process.
Value stream mapping software
The simple chart can be drawn using Microsoft Office Visio 2010 or newer. In section Business a value stream mapping template with lean symbols was attached.
- Serrano Lasa, I., Ochoa Laburu, C., & de Castro Vila, R. (2008). An evaluation of the value stream mapping tool. "Business Process Management Journal", 14(1), 39-52.
- Lian, Y. H., & Van Landeghem, H. (2002). An application of simulation and value stream mapping in lean manufacturing. Department of Industrial Management, Ghent University, Technologiepark, 903.
- Chen, L., & Meng, B. (2010). The application of value stream mapping based lean production system, International Journal of Business and Management, 5(6), p203.
- Manos, T. (2006). Value stream mapping—An introduction. "Quality Progress", 39(6), 64-69.
Author: Slawomir Wawak