Advertising message - tha main idea, poin of view which companies would like to convey to their target audience. Words, pictures and videos are the most typical way of communicate advertising message. Canal of distribution this message could be different and can be used numerous forms of media for instance: television, radio, print, word of mouth, events, billboards, Internet and so on (Business Dictionary).
Manipulation in advertising
Some companies decides to use manipulation or persuasion to encourage consumer to buy their products or service. First message of advertisement is to inform about the product and service or create brand awareness. Often the second message of advertising is to persuade that our product is worth to buy. In this case, sometimes companies use manipulation. There is several methods which could have influence of consumer behaviour and their buying decision, for instance good knowledge about consumers purchasing and focus on influence it (V. Danciu, 2014, s.20-21).
- According to Maslow pyramid consumers have three main categories of needs - shelter, nourishment, and security. This is the base of human being. Next categories are social and psychological needs. Companies use functions of advertisement to affect of different categories of human needs to persuade to buy their products. The most affected needs is social and psychological mixed with this main categories, can have big influence on consumer decision.
- Companies use different mechanism of stimulus for consumer manipulation through advertising. They can use persuasiv and manipulation Non-manipulative advertising show the adventages of product or services without lie, omitment of details or intimidate the consumer.
- In manipulative advertising are used emotional game to getting the clients to do what the advertiser wants. They use subversive manners where there aren't truth. This is manipulation advertising (V. Danciu, 2014, s.20-21).
Impact of the effectiveness of advertising by repeating the advertising message
Advertising are repeating many times due to enhance to memory of message. Additionally the study inform that also influence to memorise of advertising is the ease of advertising message processed. In literature exist two-factor theory which explain advertising repetition effects. According this theory repetition has a good influence for a while, next begins effect in negative way (P Anand, B. Sternthal, 1990, s. 346-347):
- In first period of repetition advertisement consumers remember it and become familiar with the company. According this theory repetition has a good influence for a while, next begins effect in negative way. In first period of repetition advertisement consumers remember it and become familiar with the company.
- In second period consumers are used to the brand and become bored and stop buying product or services of this brand. This second phase is called wear-out.
- Anand, P., & Sternthal, B. (1990). Ease of message processing as a moderator of repetition effects in advertising. "Journal of marketing research", 27(3), 345-353.
- Andrews, J. C., & Durvasula, S. (1991). Suggestions for manipulating and measuring involvement in advertising message content. ACR North American Advances.
- Danciu V., (2014). Manipulative marketing: persuasion and manipulation of the consumer through advertising. "Theoretical and Applied Economics", 21(2), 591.
Author: Karolina Knapik