Career orientation (or career guidance) is the kind of services for individuals people in not specified age and not specified period of their lives where there will be helped to start thinking about their future career live and how to deal with them. They consist of three main areas:
- Information- courses and possibilities of occupations and career ways; it could be provided in lecture way,
- Counselling- one to one or group meetings focused on the individual predispositions and their willingnesses of their planned job;
- Education- the workshops of helping people to develop their capacities for running their development (A. G. Watts 2013).
The role of counsellor
There would be provided the coach (counsellor or career development professional) for each of participant or small group in order to concentrate on the particular unit by steering their thoughts and views on the life by for instance asking questions, preparing the some tests etc. When the results will be known the mentor will prepare the list of proposed occupations, advise how to find them in the labour market and how to find it. That person can help with looking for the positions which you are interested with because they have up-to-date knowledge and data about it.
Career planning focus topics
There can be provided classes/ trainings In many different topics. It is presented the list of example of topics below:
- Assessment centers- giving the good case practices about how candidate can prepare to the group task;
- Mindfull development spaces- the way to help the candidate understand what career route should choose and develop yourself during each space,
- Career Workout- the process of planning the way of looking for the dreaming the job, for instance by being aware of what are your personal values and acquired skills;
- Writing CV and a cover letter (or resume)- how to prepare that documents in order to suit the applied position in the company you chose,
- Job interview practice- how to prepare to the interview and present yourself in the most memorable way by exercising,
- Bachelor's/ Master's choice- the workshops when you get to know the university studies faculties in the city/ voivodeship/ country,
- Networking- presentation how people can reach connections and the styles of exchanging contact between themselves,
- Profilling on LinkedIN- how to prepare the most professional profile on LinkedIN to increase interest of potential employers,
- Understanding the labour market (native and foreign countries)- the lectures when it is told about the economic situation at those markets (Studenten Services 2018).
The possible problems at the beginng of the career
More and more people decide to use for the career orientation possibility before finding their first job or decision about transition (changing the particular position/ company). It should not be in that way due to the fact that main intention of these kind of services is keeping them constantly and regularly- for the whole life; not use them from time to time. It will not help the person to be aware of their career and track it frequently in order not to feel as 87% of Americans who do not like their job and the quarter of Americans who say that the work is the first reason of their stress (R. Preckman 2018).
Many candidates have the problem with finding the proper job tailored to their interests and competences due to many things. The first one could be failure during the career process planning. Why is it so important? Due to the importance of that first step of thinking about their future job. That kind of decision should be well-thought because the job which is chosen by the candidate will be able to affect on their private life, their mood, the way how they can think about themselves (in positive or negative way).People are going to spend in their job approximately 90,000 hours through the whole life so that decision should be taken in serious-minded way.
- Maree J. G. (2018), Perspective: promoting career development in the early years of people’s lives through self- and career construction counselling to promote their career resilience and career adaptability Early Child Development and Care, Volume 188
- McKay D. R. (2018), How Does Career Guidance Support Career Development?, Careers
- Premack R. (2018), 17 seriously disturbing facts about your job, Business Insider
- Studenten Services (2018), Career orientation: overview, University of Amsterdam
- Watts A.G. (2013), Career guidance and orientation, UNESCO-UNEVOC, Revisiting global trends in TVET
Author: Beata Mertyn