Ad view is the number of views an ad is served to the user's screen, is counted when advertisement is delivered to the website and user can see it. Impression is very similar to an ad view and it's one of the basic terms in online marketing .
Metrics for evaluating display and advertising performance :
- Viev-through rate (VTR) - the percentage of people who view an ad and then go to the advertiser site.
- Cost-per-thousand-impressions (CPM) - cost per one thousand displayed ads. For example $10 CPM means you will pay $10 for every one thousand views.
- Click-through rate (CTR) - number of times an ad is clicked divided by number of views an ad is served to the user's screen.
- Cost-per-click (CPC) - amount of money that you must pay for every click on your ad. For example $1 CPC means you will pay $1 for each click in your ad.
- Cost-per-lead (CPL) - otherwise cost-per-action (CPA). CPA is different to the others. You pay for action you want to receive. For example, for completed form, e-mail address etc.
- Interaction rate (IR) - proportion of ad views and ad views when people move their mouse over an ad.
- Expansion rate - proportion of ad views and ad views when people click to expand an ad.
- View-to-completion rate - people who watch video to the end, in percentage.
You can improve your impression share in several ways. On the one hand you can improve your content quality and keywords , where you don't need a lot of money, but you need time and on other hand you can increase your budget, where you need money to more advertisements. Generally is a lot of things you can do to improve your impression share :
- Do research - look on other companies and popular things.
- Improve your keywords - better keywords is better position in Google ranking. You can use SEO software tools.
- Improve your content - content on the page is also very important. It can't be too long and too short.
- Increase your budget - you can spend more money on ads. More money on CPC = more clicks in your ads.
- Change your targets - sometimes your ads are target to the wrong people, then you have to change something in your advertising campaign. Maybe change your group of recipients.
- Change your platforms - maybe user's browsers are not the best for you. Try mobile apps, YouTube, LinkedIn etc.
- (Whitmore C., p. 258-262)
- (Cunningham C., 2010, p. 229-237)
- (Smith J., 2010, p. 98-105)
- (Miller P., 2016)
- Cunningham C. and others, (2010). Local online advertising for dummies, Wiley Publishing, Inc., p. 229-237
- Miller P., (2016). Optimizing AdWords: A Guide to Using, Mastering, and Maximizing Google Adwords', Routledge
- Smith J., (2010). Get into bed with Google: Top ranking search optimisation', Infinite Ideas, p. 98-105
- Taylor G., (2013). Give Your Marketing a Digital Edge - A 10-Book Bundle Special Edition', Global&Digital, p. 597-599
- Tivary A., (2016). Know Online Advertising: All information About Online Advertising at One Place, Partridge Publishing
- Whitmore C. and others, (2013). Performance marketing with Google Analytics: strategies and techniques for maximizing online roi, Wiley Publishing, Inc., p. 258-262.
Author: Adam Widła