Social media optimization
Social media optimization (SMO) - is the marketing tool and process of increasing the popularity and product knowledge among customers. It helps in the sale of the product, promotion, marketing. It is a strategy that makes content related to the company attractive enough that other people want to share by, for example: liking, +1, recommending, revining, commenting, retweeting, creating video responses, repinning, sharing.
SMO is usually used to increase website traffic. It is closely related to websites and search engine optimization. SMO aims to improve the efficiency of social media by, among others, sharing on social networks.
Social media optimization is a new concept in digital marketing. The main thing is to distinguish SMO from standard marketing in social media. Optimization of social media is closely integrated with activities on the website. It is not only about what is published in the media but primarily deals with social media management. It is also content management, planning and implementing strategies for many channels.
According to N. Burcher, there are 16 SMO principles:
- Reward inbound links
- Increase your linkability
- Make tagging and bookmarking easy
- Help your content to travel
- Reward helpful and valuable users
- Encourage the mashup
- Be a user resource, even if it doesn't help you
- Create new content
- Make SMO part if your process and best practices
- Know how to target your audience
- Develop an SMO strategy
- Be real in the posts
- Don't forget your roots; be humble
- Participate (join the online conversation)
- Don't be afraid to innovate, try new things
- Choose your SMO tactics wisely
First of all, SMO should optimize its content to enable its spread. The implementation of the 16 principles will help you succeed, but it should be more precise. The goal should not be to use SMO to meet all 16 steps. First and foremost, visibility should be maximized and content sharing easier. Only this will help you maximize the value of your views and increase your chances of success.
Examples of Social media optimization
- Creating and updating an engaging presence on social media platforms - This includes creating and regularly updating accounts on social media platforms such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, etc. This is an effective way of increasing the visibility of a brand or product, as well as engaging customers and potential customers.
- Leveraging influencers to spread awareness - This involves using influencers on social media platforms to spread the word about a brand or product. Influencers are people with a large following, who can help spread awareness by sharing content related to the brand or product.
- Encouraging customers to engage with the brand online - This involves asking customers to comment, share and like posts on social media platforms in order to increase engagement and visibility.
- Creating and sharing content - This involves creating content related to the brand or product and sharing it on social media platforms. This content could include videos, blog posts, infographics or other types of content.
- Running social media campaigns - This involves running campaigns on social media platforms in order to increase visibility and engagement. This could include running contests, offering discounts or promotions, or running targeted ads.
Advantages of Social media optimization
Social media optimization (SMO) is a powerful marketing tool and process of increasing the popularity and product knowledge among customers. Some advantages of SMO include:
- Increased Visibility: SMO can help to increase the visibility of a business or brand by putting it in front of a larger, more targeted audience.
- Increased Brand Awareness: Social media helps to create brand awareness since it allows customers to engage with a business and helps them to become familiar with the brand.
- Improved User Engagement: SMO can help to engage users more effectively and efficiently by allowing them to easily connect with the brand and share their experiences.
- Increased Website Traffic: SMO can help to generate more website traffic by creating more opportunities for potential customers to discover the business.
- Improved Conversion Rates: By providing potential customers with more information about the business and its products, SMO can help to increase the chances of conversion.
- Improved Customer Service: Social media allows businesses to respond to customer queries and complaints quickly, which can help to improve customer service.
Limitations of Social media optimization
Social media optimization (SMO) is a powerful marketing tool to increase product knowledge and popularity among customers. However, it is important to consider some limitations when utilizing this strategy:
- Time-consuming - SMO takes time to implement, track and measure. It is important to allocate enough time and resources to ensure the strategy is successful.
- Lack of control - It is difficult to control the conversation as customers may post negative feedback or reviews about the product or service.
- Complexity - SMO involves understanding of the different channels and how to use them effectively. It can be difficult to keep up with the ever-changing landscape of social media.
- Cost - It can be expensive to hire an agency or team to manage the online presence.
- Privacy - There is a risk of compromising customer data if the security measures are not up to date.
- Performance - Results of SMO may not be seen immediately and it can be difficult to measure the effectiveness of the strategy.
Social media optimization is an important marketing tool and process to increase the popularity and product knowledge among customers. Other approaches related to Social media optimization include:
- Content creation and curation: Creating high-quality, engaging content that is relevant to the target audience and sharing it through social media channels is an effective way to increase brand awareness.
- Engagement: Engaging with customers on social media is a key component in building relationships with them. Through regular interactions, brands can establish trust and loyalty with their audiences.
- Measurement: Measuring the success of campaigns and initiatives on social media is essential for understanding what works and what needs to be improved.
- Advertising: Advertising on social media can help brands reach more people and drive more traffic to their websites.
In conclusion, social media optimization is an important marketing tool and process that can be used in a variety of ways to increase the visibility and product knowledge of a brand. Through content creation and curation, engagement, measurement, and advertising, brands can maximize their reach and engagement on social media.
- Sahai S. 2018
- Sahai S. 2018
- Bradley S.V. 2015
- Shreves R. 2015
- Shreves R. 2015
- Burcher N. 2012
- Burcher N. 2012
|Social media optimization — recommended articles|
|Benefits of social media marketing — Digital media marketing — Types of marketing — Social network marketing strategy — Areas of marketing — B2B social media marketing — Digital marketing strategy — Holistic marketing — Public relations in marketing|
- Bradley S.V. (2015), Win the Game of Googleopoly: Unlocking the Secret Strategy of Search Engines, John Wiley & Sons
- Burcher N. (2012), Paid, Owned, Earned: Maximising Marketing Returns in a Socially Connected World, Kogan Page Publishers
- Frick T. (2013), Return on Engagement: Content, Strategy and Design Techniques for Digital Marketing, Taylor & Francis
- Odden L. (2012), Optimize: How to Attract and Engage More Customers by Integrating SEO, Social Media, and Content Marketing, John Wiley & Sons
- Sahai S. (red.) (2018), Role of Social Media Optimization in Digital Marketing with special reference to Trupay, International Journal of Engineering & Technology
- Shreves R. (2015), Social Media Optimization For Dummies, John Wiley & Sons
- Young S.W.H. (2016), Introduction to Social Media Optimization, Library Technology Report
Author: Justyna Siudy