On site management
|On site management|
On-site management (sometimes called also as Construction management) - an issue that refers to a professional service that uses specialized and particular project management techniques to manage the design, planning and whole construction of a project, from just beginning to end of a project. The service take control of every component of a project, for example quality, safety, time, cost or record (What is Construction Management? 2019).
Site manager is generally responsible for monitoring the construction process and checking precisely that every kind of client wishes are properly implemented. He is also responsible for realizing the plans that have been earlier officialy approved (Rusch L. P. 2017).
Characteristic of good site manager
Site manager is responsible for on-site control and for getting the work done as quickly as it is possible. It is a person who takes care of project construction management at the construction site. Competent site manager can ensure that a whole project is executed without any time or cost overruns.
He or she must be well-organised and has leadership skills. It is necessary to have abilites to work under pressure and to be good in solving unexpected problems. Site managers have usually also strong people skills and they are able to communicate and motivate the others easily (Site manager job description 2019). It is desirable to have ood knowledge of building regulations and methods
Site manager main tasks
Without this precision control a disorder could lead business into bankruptcy. A good site manager is responsible for (Andersson C. A. 1996):
- Taking on staffand planning the work before the work starts
- Efficient on site operations
- Preparing daily and/or weekly programmes
- Coordinating and supervising personnel
- Keeping records
- Monitoring progress and costs
- Making safety inspections
- Maintaining all quality control processes
- Monitoring schedules
- Solving or anticipating difficulties during the course of the project
- Communicating with clients, inspectors and other people involved
- Keeping clients updated on progress
- Minimizing risk
It is recommended that the site manager should be a member of a permanent staff .
Where site manager can find a job?
Well qualified and experienced site managers are always on demand. There are several characteristic employers who use services of site managers and can be listed below ("What is Construction Management?" 2019):
- Construction companies - typically they ar contractors
- Property developing and house building firms
- The public sector
- Individual companies that are owners of a lot of land, for example retailers and infrastructure companies)
Due to very fast growth of the construction industry, the demand for Site Managers is still increasing.
- Andersson C. A. (1996), Site Management, Vol. 1, US. "International Labour Organization", p. 65-66.
- What is Construction Management? (2019), What is Construction Management?, CMMA (Advancing Professional Construction and Program Management Worldwide).
- Jackson J. B. (2006), Construction Management JumpStart, John Wiley & Sons.
- Mortimore S., Wallace C. (2012), HACCP: A Practical Approach, Springer.
- Rusch L. P. (2017), Basics Site Management, Birkhäuser.
- Site Manager Job Description (2019), Site manager job description, Career Structure.
- Vidovszky I. (2015), Site organization and management, BUTE – Faculty of Architecture Department of construction technology and management.
Author: Agata Drabik