|Methods and techniques|
- Identification of what should be done for example job description, job aid, procedure, manual,
- Identification of what has already been done and identification of any gap for example performance report or other,
- Propose how to resolve the knowledge gap for example memo, report or other written text,
- Deliver input to the training for example course notes, handout, visual, exercise, self-learning text,
- Follow-up after training for example memo, reports etc.
It might be necessary to access training materials by corporate training approval process if there is any. Having that kind of process within company, helps to meet any legal requirements, country laws, compliance standards and internal policies.
Design of training materials
Darlene F. points three arguments why design of training materials is important:
- Training materials are communication tools which should learn people effectively. People are more motivated to learn when information are given in the way that helps to understand, gain information faster and remember key aspects,
- Training materials create professional image both of trainer and business. Well-designed and attractive documents are seen as more important and more credible,
- Training materials are visual output which is used nowadays broadly. It is said that good picture says more than thousand of words. Training materials are not only the pictures, but as most of users used to very attractive visual advertisement, training materials should also follow that trend.
There are at least four software categories that may support delivering training materials more effectively:
- Page layout programmes: Microsoft Word, WordPerfect, PageMaker, QuarkXPress, Ventura Publisher, FrameMaker,
- Illustration programmes: Microsoft Word, WordPerfect, MacDraw, FreeHand, Illustrator, CorelDraw!, Canvas,
- Presentations programmes: PowerPoint, Persuasion,
- Clip arts.
- Stimson N. (2002), p.1
- Carter L. (2012), p.42
- Darlene F. (1996), p.12
- Darlene F. (1996), p.14
- Carter L. (2012), Call Centre Training and Development, AuthorHouse
- Darlene F. (1996), Terrific Training Materials: High Impact Graphic Designs for Workbooks, Handouts, Instructor Guides, and Job Aids, Human Resource Development, Canada
- International Labour Organisation (2000), Training material source book. A guide for trainers in labour-based readworks, Asist Working Paper, Kenya
- Sengupta N., Mukhopadhyay S. H., Ghosh S. P. (2005), Training Material On West Bengal Service Rules, Administrative Training Institute, Government of West Bengal
- Stimson N. (2002), How to Write & Prepare Training Materials Kogan Page Series, Kogan Page Publishers, Great Britain
- United Nations economic commission for Europe (2013), Human Resources: Management and Training. Compilation of Good Practices in Statistical Offices, United Nations economic commission for Europe, New York and Geneva
Author: Anna Piechnik