Advantages of simulation
|Advantages of simulation|
|Advantages of simulation|
|Methods and techniques|
Advantages of simulation are the results from simulation process.Reaping the benefits of stimulation depends on the ways and the quality of the implementation of the simulation itself. The better the choice of techniques the greater the benefits. On every platform such as: military, medicine, production, business, simulation is a process, which still developing all the time. It is based on visualisation an interactive model system and used to making analysis during the carry out the test. Nowadays Businesses Management uses some techniques, which are connected with specialist's industrial engineering tolls..  Simulation training is becoming more and more popular in organizations due to its unique advantages. However, it is worth knowing what the training really teaches. And is it able to replace the more traditional approach to learning.
Simulation understood as a training method in which trainees are immersed in the created world, try to achieve their own goals. They pursue these goals, they learn typical mistakes and model behavior. The factor that distinguishes a simulation from an exercise or a workshop is an independent investigation into success, not a scenario imposed by the trainer.
Actualities about gainig the benefits from simulation
- Simulation teaches independence and shapes practical skills
One of the biggest values of the simulation training style is giving the opportunity to make mistakes. Participants can choose inefficient operation schemes with impunity to simply see what will happen. They can also blindly test different approaches. In contrast to the sequential style, where the trainer gives the exercise and then leads to the correct solution. In the simulation, the trainer gives the conditions of the game and expects the participants to manage. At the end, together with the group discusses the decisions taken and the consequences to which they led.
- Team play simulation builds social competences
Simulations can be divided according to the social criterion. There are simulations played individually and in a group. In the case of individual participants, the participant independently solves simulated problems and reacts to the existing situations. In a group-based simulation, participants have the chance to face each other through cooperation, conflict or competition. At the same time, they do it in "safe" conditions. This form of training allows us to observe how surprisingly our colleagues can behave when put in a simulated problem.
- Team play simulation integrates the team
Simulation allows to break communication barriers, if it engages emotions and builds the conviction that victory is the work of the whole team. In the beggining of simulation we introduce the principle of rivalry between groups. However, during the training, it turns out that much better results are achieved by overcoming thinking focused on competition for cooperation. This in combination with the successful success during the simulation in many groups gives the effect of overcoming communication barriers. People like to win, and when the victory is paid hard, when the problems are broken thanks to efficient cooperation, when the final result far exceeds the initial expectations, the game can give a lot of satissfaction. And effectively bring people who have achieved success together.
- Simulation is the most engaging form of training
It is true. The vast majority of simulation participants easily immerses themselves in the simulated reality and quickly forgets that it is only training. Emotions, reactions to problems, interactions between participants are often similar to those from the real world. From the trainer's point of view, the interesting thing is that the group takes the initiative during the simulation and sets the pace of the game. The trainer, on the other hand, can observe and often learn how people react to simulated incidents. In summary, simulations are an attractive and extremely effective training method that quickly gains market interest. However, it is worth knowing in what situations the simulation method gives the best results.
Simulation is based on a learning process. The contemporary model of studying through experience was described by David Kobel in the 1980s.
A cycle learning process contains four stages:
- Experience do something, observe something,
- Reflection think about it, analyze, discuss, investigate the causes,
- Generalizing create a theory why this happened,
- Application test a new way of working, apply the theory.
Aspects of advantages
Simulation modelling gives the tools to simplify decisions making process. Also helps in analysing and researching knowledge about previous system. Obviously it provides supporting in anticipating a performance of the system, conceptualized by the decision-maker. Simulation is really useful in improvements by some of the aspects:
- Gives prediction- it takes account of every business performance scenarios
- Stimulates creativity- it lets give a try many of options without consequences and possibility of use several levels of abstraction to analyse particular problem
- Evades disruptions- by providing model of real world complex system it gives managers feedback without need to modify or act on the system
- Reduces risk- drive down unpredicted options of failure and allows to make assessment of different scenarios
- Provide methods- gives tools measurement and techniques to define organization's process, capability and cost estimates
- Encourages data collection- systematic can only contribute to functional system
- Helps to accept changes- can be used to observe effects of changes of different variables describing system behaviour
- Provide options of problem solving and decision making under the uncertainty when the data is limited or hard to acquire
- Communication and training tool-it can be used as a learning instrument to share knowledge in organizations, also without bearing the costs, can demonstrate new idea to all personnel
- Act as design aid- all the configure process can be optimize in initial phase of design
Place of use
There are many various areas where the simulation is being used. Many organizations wouldn’t be succeeding without simulation system. Simulations change the work's way. In industry, we observe a shift towards the concept of augmented reality (AR) and virtual reality (VR). It becomes possible thanks to the increasing availability of devices such as hololens or vive, which give new possibilities to visualize the world around us. Thanks to AR, digital information can be placed on real objects, while VR makes the recipient completely immersed in a virtual environment. A main segments of use it:
- Transportation and logistic
- Business process re-engineering
- Information technology
- Health System
- Anderson P.L.(2004).Business economics and finance with MATLAB, GIS and simulation models.ISBN 1-58488-348-0.(p. 173)
- Axelrod, R.(1997). Advancing the art of simulation in the social sciences. In Simulating social phenomena (p. 21-40). Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg.
- Bednidaki D., Doukas M., Mourtzis D., (2014). Simulation in Manufacturing: Review and Challenges.Rio Patras.(p. 216-221).
- Greasley A.(2003)Simulation Modelling for Business, Routledge, ISBN 9780754632146.(p. 2-17).
- Train K.E.(2009)Discrete Choice Methods with Simulation, Berkeley. ISBN 9780521747387.(p. 237-250).
- D. Bednidaki ,M.Doukas, D.Mourtzis(2014)Simulation in Manufacturing: Review and Challenges(p.220)
- A.Greasley (2003) Simulation Modelling for Business (p.4-7)
Author: Daria Maniak