EFE matrix or External Factor Evaluation matrix was created by Fred R. David and is strategic management and analysis tool closely related to SWOT analysis, TOWS analysis and STEEPLE analysis. It involves identification of key external factors affecting business from external environment. It involves five steps:
- factor identification and selection (opportunities and threats from environment)
- assigning weight to each factor according to its perceived importance
- assigning ratings (1 to 4) for each key factor
- multiplying rating and weight
- determining total weighted score for the company
Overall scores are used for further analysis, setting priorities for business plans and strategic goals. EFE matrix are also used to visualize impact of external factors on organization. Tool is closely related to IFE matrix
- Capps III, C. J., & Glissmeyer, M. D. (2012). Extending the competitive profile matrix using internal factor evaluation and external factor evaluation matrix concepts. Journal of Applied Business Research, 28(5), 1059.
- David, M. E., David, F. R., & David, F. R. (2009). The Quantitative Strategic Planning Matrix (QSPM) applied to a retail computer store. The Coastal Business Journal, 8(1), 42-52.
This is an article stub.