Social media principles
|Social media principles|
Social media allows people to communicate with each other, come together and share opinions and ideas on the Internet (J. I. Miletsky 2009, s.75).
There are many benefits of using social media, including (J. I. Miletsky 2009, s.78, 82):
- People can present there their opinions and beliefs by writing many posts on blogs and online forums. Consequently, they can easily find people who have similar interests and views.
- People have the ability to write revievs about products and services which they have bought or used. Due to it other custmers can read this and decide whether they want to posess a particular item or service or not.
- Using social media gives the opportunity to keep in touch with relatives, loved ones, friends and people who live abroad.
- People have unlimited access to information and news from the whole world.
- Social media can be used as one of the marketing tools. Menagers can widen their messages about products and services among all users of the Internet.
- By creating homepage and applications, the organization gives the opportunity to online users to come together what can help to create its own community.
Fundamental Principles of Social Media
There are some core principles which can help the organization to develop their relationships with online users, including (A. Bruns 2010, s.309-311):
- Being open means that it is necessary to win new users over social media without losing trusted contributors. New participants can add freshness, new ideas to the community, and consequently, the discussion can put on different way. When the organization wants to grow up in social media, it cannot hide information from online users about internal developments, like changes in services or new products. It is a good practice because informed contributors can expand the news about these developments and in consequence generate additional interest.
- Seeding community processes means that the organization should encourage community members to take part in creating and developing online community. It is also needed to create some rules which help the website to develop even if there is no moderator available.
- Supporting community dynamics means that the organization should try to treat them as partners, because such action can contribute to the development of the social media community and space. This may be reached by sending them new products which they can check or by involving them as community moderators. It is important to take care of relationships with community members because, e.g. it can bring new ideas out. In addition, managers of the organization should remember that they cannot force anybody to be interested in their community.
- Not exploiting the community means that users of the social media sites should not feel like being abused by operators of such sites. It helps to keep in touch with loyalty contributors. This principle is very important among social media sites which are created mostly by users.
- Bruns A. (2010), Doing Social Media - some fundamental principles, "Keeping Good Companies", nr 62, s.309-311
- Kim M. Carolyn (2016), Social Media Campaigns: Strategies for Public Relations and Marketing, Routledge, New York
- Miletsky I. Jason (2009), Principles of Internet Marketing: New Tools and Methods for Web Developers, Cengage Learning, Boston
- Sheldon P. (2015), Social Media. Principles and Applications, Lexington Books, London
Author: Katarzyna Krzyk, Adrianna Kuzak, Julia Kotlarz