Strategy deployment is complex process of implementation of strategic plans in the company. Strategy deployment activities vary for different companies but most important is unification of the organization around the strategy prepared by the management in order to achieve strategic goals, mission and vision.
Main tasks in strategy deployment
- design of efficient organization structure
- preparing documentation: processes, policies, plans, analyses
- preparing of financial resources needed
- creating controlling and monitoring systems with rewards and metrics of key processes
Stages of implementing strategy
- Actions - should start with the confirmation of the mission (why the organisation exists) and its vision (aim to future results and values). The Organisation have necessary skills to implementing strategy based on mission, vision, value, and strategic analysis. The companies with a formal strategy planning more likely to succeed than companies that do not have such a system in place.
- Learning and continuous improvement practices- anticipates transforming the company into a learning and self-perfecting organization. Employees in such an organization are characterized by commitment to solving problems and constant improvement of quality, safety and reducing costs.
- Strategic support - Companies should invest in IT to successfully run a business. The strategic support of the system provides access to qualitative and quantitative data about customers and sources, revenues and costs. The data should be ordered so that the information between particular departments runs smoothly or automatically. Organizations meet the needs of creating one coherent digital strategy for the entire enterprise and organizing IT structures.
- Strategy supportive policies - A company can achieve strategic goals if top management provides people, equipment, devices and other resources to implement its part of the strategic plan.It includes everyday decisions and actions to maintain consistency.
- Strategic leader - It is the manager's potential to express the vision of the organization and to motivate and convince others to gain this vision. It consists in proposing a grand plan, and then its efficient implementation. The goal of systemic leadership is to undertake strategic interventions ensuring efficient matching of the most important elements of the company's structure.
- Allocate resources - The allocation of resources includes the use of major resources such as money, people and opportunities. It depends on the type of market structure on which the resource exists.
- Monitoring - should begin early on in order to cut an errant strategy before losses or negative impacts become too costly or damaging. All operating objectives needs to be associated with a measure. The actions should be associated targets and track the implementation activities being undertaken and their consequences.
- Corporate culture - determines how employees and company managers interact and support transactions outside the company. The company's culture will be reflected in every aspect of the business. The project's success increasingly depends on the ability to match the people and teams participating in it. A special challenge is the use of corporate culture to improve the effectiveness of cooperation.
Process of implementing strategy
In the process of entering into force of the strategy, the preparation of resources and operating conditions and the realignment of the conditions provided for in the plan. The plan can not be implemented rigorously, it is necessary to refer to the actual conditions and requirements, to identify possible only at the stage of implementation. In this step occurs primarily: operationalization purposes or narrow the scope, objectives translate the higher order objectives of a lower order; constructing an appropriate organizational structure and management system, as well as shaping budgets
Successful strategy implementation is key to the succes of the business . This is the action stage of the strategic management process. If the strategy does not work with the business' current structure, a new structure should be installed at the beginning of this stage. Resources or funding for the venture must be secured at this point. Once the funding is in place and the employees are ready, execute the plan.
Practices for strategy deployment
- Implementing strategies is not complicated
- Enter an organization that can effectively implement the strategy,
- Shape budgets supporting the implementation of the strategy,
- Adjust the organizational culture to the chosen strategy,
- Be precise when making decisions
- Guth, W. D., & MacMillan, I. C. (1986). Strategy implementation versus middle management self-interest. Strategic Management Journal, 7(4), 313-327.
- Mazur, G. H. (1998, August). Strategy deployment for small and medium enterprises. In Proceedings of the International Symposium on Quality Function Deployment. Sydney, August.
- Fevzi Okumus (2015) Towards a strategy implementation framework International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management 327-338
- Michael K. Allio (2005) A short, practical guide to implementing strategy Journal Of Business Strategy, 12-21
- William F. Crittenden (2008) Building a capable organization: The eight levers of strategy implementation Business Horizons (2008)51, 301- 309
- William F. Crittenden (2008), 303-307
- Fevzi Okumus (2015), 329-334
- Michael K. Allio, 15-19
Author: Weronika Góra